Job Description & Background
„A decent home breaks the cycle of poverty.” It is the slogan of the non-governmental organization (NGO) Habitat for Humanity, which fulfill the vision of providing a decent home for all those in need. It is an ambitious project, launched over 40 years ago in the United States of America, and 23 years ago in Romania. Over time, at the international level, 22 million people from over 70 countries have benefited from the support of Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI).
In Romania, as a result of Habitat’s housing-related programs, over 60,000 people now have a decent place to call “home.”
The role of the Finance Director will be to lead the Finance, HR & Admin team so that the organization will fulfill its mission, benefiting from operational excellence in all aspects related to the financial-accounting organization of his/her activities.
The Finance Director is managing a team of 3 (2 accountants + 1 Admin)and will be a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), reporting to the National Director.
In recruiting the Financial Director we will review all the aspects that make the difference between a good accounting expert and a leader with solid technical skills and a vision in the financial field.
Responsibilities / Duties
LEADERSHIP & STRATEGY
- Coordinate the “Finance, HR & Admin” team: coaching, training, managing by objectives, aligning the team with the department and the other departments in the organization, ensuring succession planning;
- Participate actively in the SMT;
- Provide vision and leadership in the continuous improvement of financial management reporting and financial operations;
- Prepare, develop and analyze financial information to support the organization in making the best business decisions (e.g. financial forecast depending on decision scenarios, cash-flows, risk analyses);
- Represent and coordinate the department in functional relation to the other departments of the organization (Programmes, Fundraising and Communication, Advocacy, Subsidiaries in the territory); Provide specialized support to the colleagues for the financial monitoring of the ongoing projects and the development of new projects.
- Coordinate the planning and annual budgeting process in the team with the other departments in HFH Romania and in relation to HFHI.
- Organize and coordinate the financial accounting management of the organization, performing and delegating day-to-day bookkeeping, ensuring the accuracy of the accounting, functionality of Navision, compliance with the national accounting legislation and all applicable statutory and HFHI regulations
- Facilitate the annual external audit process and managing the relationship with the auditors.
- Monitor the financial situation of the organization in order to maintain its liquidity and a good financial performance.
- Ensure the relevant and timely periodical and occasional financial management reporting for management, board and HFHI.
- Ensure the relationship with the HFHI regional office concerning financial aspects.
- Monitor the compliance of the subsidiaries and the national office with the HFHI financial policies and the applicable internal procedures.
- Keep updates and ensure compliance with the amendments of the financial, accounting and human resources laws.
- Streamline of the budgeting and financial reporting process on projects.
- Organize the review and improvement of the internal control policies and procedures.
- Streamline the procurement process, mainly strengthening the transparency of the supplier selection process.
- Provide support and consultancy to persons in the financial department – national office and subsidiaries – with regard to accounting issues, use of Navision, financial management, internal control, reporting.
- Coordinate the HR issues within the organization;
- Coordinate Admin activities.
The person will be selected considering a number of key skills and competences:
ABILITIES & VALUES
- Communication: we appreciate a colleague who can “turn figures” into a useful and easy-to-understand message in the decision-making process at all organizational levels;
- Integrity and honesty;
- Analytical skills and attention to detail;
- A good risk perspective: the willingness to try new things and take calculated risks to grow the business and improve the financial position of the organization;
- Continuous improvement mindset;
- A clear vision for the future;
- Good organizational and planning skills.
- A degree in economic studies;
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a position of leadership in Finance & Accounting;
- Knowledge of financial accounting and tax laws;
- Strong practical knowledge of comprehensive financial management and accounting;
- Knowledge of internal controls and risk management standards;
- Knowledge of budgeting, financial analysis, reporting;
- People skills & performance management experience
- Solid computer skills;
It is a plus:
- Working experience in NGO environment
- Knowledge of Navision and general ERP expertise
In order to apply, please send a CV and a letter of intent in English until 20th January 2020, to: email@example.com
NOTE: The selection process will be continuous, and the selected candidates will be interviewed as they apply, without waiting for the final deadline. We reserve the right to interrupt the selection process if we establish the winning candidate before the final deadline.
Only selected candidates will be contacted.